Currently Resides: Maple Hill, NC
Hometown: Pittsburgh, PA
Birthplace: Pittsburgh, PA
Formerly Stationed: New Orleans and overseas
“So many of our DREAMS at first seem Impossible, then they seem Improbable, and then when we Summon the Will, they soon become Inevitable.” – Eric Frazier
Eric Frazier said he “felt a calling” to enlist when he watched from his dorm room the events of September 11th. A few months later Eric joined the United States Marine Corp and was soon deployed. Eric returned from his tour in 2005 healthy and able-bodied, only to suffer a spinal cord injury that confined him to a wheelchair.
As an athlete prior to his injury, it is no surprise Eric considers sports rehabilitation the perfect medicine. Within a year of becoming T12 paraplegic, Eric completed his first long distance cycling event as a member of World T. E.A.M Sports, riding in the Face of America, 175 miles from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC. Soon after, Eric was asked to join Team Semper Fi, a sports program funded by the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. The idea for the Team came from other wounded Marines and Sailors who refused to let their challenges prevent them from competing in athletic events. Together their athletic drive and unwavering spirit on the road to recovery is an inspirational to all who meet them.
Eric is married to Shenette Frazier who is a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps and they have daughter, Amiya. Currently living in Jacksonville, North Carolina, Eric finds himself going to Camp Lejenue to locate Marines who may need a hand after suffering an injury. Eric is passionate about giving back to the organizations that have made it possible for him to achieve so many his goals.
Eric is a competitive athlete in the sports of HandCycling, Triathlon, and Wheelchair Basketball. Most recently, Eric learned to ski and earned a spot on the U.S. Biathlon Development Team. Biathlon combines elements of cross country skiing and sharp shooting. Athletes ski three 2.5 km loops (7.5 km total), stopping after the first two loops to shoot at five targets (10 targets total). One minute is added to the athlete’s finishing time for each miss. In six short weeks, Eric qualified to compete in U.S. Cross Country Ski Nationals, and in two World Cup Games held in France and Germany! Eric narrowly missed a spot on the U.S. Paralympics Team but attended the Vancouver Paralympics Games to gather reconnaissance for his future goals. Eric is committed to making the U.S. National Biathlon Team and has his long term sight set firmly on Paralympics gold in Sochi, Russia in 2014.
Eric prepared for Cross-Country Skiing and Biathlon events by participating in the 2010 Sea to Shining Sea 63-day Cross-Country Bike Ride. Eric dedicated his ride to a now-deceased childhood friend, Regis Williams, from Pittsburgh PA, and enjoyed the stage of the ride that took him through Pittsburgh where he was able to meet up with family and friends.
For Eric, the Sea to Shining Sea Ride was the start of his journey toward Paralympics gold. In the months that followed the Sea to Shining Ride, he participated successfully in Cross-Country ski and Biathlon events, ranking high in the standings nationally.
• World Cup Games – U.S. Biathlon Team, Oberried, German – February 2010
• World Cup Games – U.S. Biathlon Team, Bessans, France – January, 2010
• ConocoPhilips U.S. Cross Country Ski Nationals – U.S Nordic Team, Anchorage, AK – January 2010
• Face of America, 125 Mile Bike Ride – Washington DC, 2006 – 2009
• Run for the Warriors, Jacksonville NC, 2008-2009
• Wheelchair Basketball Port City Tournament – September 2009
• Wheelchair Basketball Nationals – March 2009
• Wheelchair Basketball Conference Championship – February 2009
• Wheelchair Basketball Richmond Tournament – December 2009
• Wheelchair Basketball S. Charleston Tournament – November 2009
• Wheelchair Basketball, Wilmington Tournament – October 2009
• The Admiral’s Cup Triathlon, Point Mugu, CA 2008
• Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon, San Francisco, CA – 2008
• Marine Corp Marathon, Washington DC, 2006- 2008
• The Nations Triathlon, Washington DC, 2008
• Real Deal Inclusive Adventure Challenge, Vail, CO, 2008
• Cooper Bridge Run, Charleston, SC – 2007
• Virginia Beach Rock N Roll Marathon, Virginia Beach VA – 2006